April 21, 2012

Suzuki's Jimny revisited

Back in early March I wrote about why I didn't think the Suzuki Jimny was much of an off-roader, despite its good reputation. By coincidence I've been able to spend a week with a 2012 Jimny Sierra, the top model that costs $22,990, making it the cheapest, smallest and least powerful proper 4WD on the New Zealand market; 'proper' being one with low-range gearing and, in the Jimny's case, coil-sprung beam axle suspension front and rear. It immediately became clear that I have to revise one earlier criticism. The five-speed manual gearbox and clutch are much better than the one I drove some years ago and are just fine for off-roading.

However, the week also served to remind me of another reason I don't care for the Jimny off-road. Part of my drive was up Muriwai Beach, then over some extremely loose sand and onto Wilson Road, a delightful 4WD track familiar to locals and off-road enthusiasts. I'd been up there in my Wrangler Rubicon less than a week before and had no trouble at all with the loose sand, but kept bogging the Jimny until I remembered how you drive this thing in loose stuff: low first and pedal to the metal. Engine howling, the Jimny scrambled up and over. I had to repeat the "full noise" technique several more times on the track and quickly got sick of it. I really do believe the off-road adage, "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary" and so screaming through obstacles just didn't seem like good driving to me, despite having a certain entertainment value.

I took along self-recovery gear, including a ground anchor and Tirfor hand winch, to get out of any likely embarrassing situation. With that all stowed, there was no room left. I don't know how two people go on a long camping trip in a Jimny, but I hear that they do.

The concept of the Jimny is great and I'd really like to be able to like it a lot more. I'm thinking that if you want a small off-roader, it'd be better to find the best three-door Vitara/Escudo you can and do it up, despite it having an independent front suspension that forever seems to need aligning.

• This report coincides with the 15th anniversary of the Jimny, first introduced at the Tokyo Motor Show in 1997.


9 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of a Jimny myself and have read youre posts with interest, but youre sending mixed messages. Simple question: would you buy one or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple answer: No.

      Long answer: I've thought about it long and hard, because I do love the concept of a small, nimble off-roader. But it would cost so much to modify to meet my particular needs it's not a starter.

      Delete
  2. You nead to apologize to Zuki for the crap you wright about there trux. Zooks rule,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the editor of NZ 4WD tested the very same Jimny in his May issue. Basically he thought it was wonderful and you thought it was shite. Whose a person to believe. I ask because I have been thinking of getting a Jimmy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't think it was "shite" as you suggest, but it has some shortcomings. You'll have to decide which point of view has most credibility.

      Delete
  4. I have a Jimbny and its nevR let me down. I sirgest you learn too drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own an "extreme" Jimny that has done well both in competition and tough club trips. It is proof that with work it can be a superb off roader that will run with the best. The on-road ride, handling and comfort are all poor but I accept these as the price to pay for having a top little off roader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own a jimny here in Asia and it is a very good 4x4. I use it to explore nice places. If you ask me, yes I recommend jimny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Always nice to hear from overseas visitors!

      Delete